Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chicken and Chickpeas

My favorite meals are ones in which I dirty only one pot. In this receipe (taken and slightly modified from Freshdirect), I got away with one dirty pot and a messy cutting board. I got a little lazy, and didn't make the couscous that was called for, but it turned out to be more of a soup than anything else. The ingredients made about three hearty bowls, so we had dinner and some leftovers for when one of us works late.

All you need is:
1 lb. chicken (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
Can of chickpeas
10 oz. box of frozen carrots and 10 oz. box of frozen squash (thawed)
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp of ground ginger, 1/2 tsp of tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tspof paprika
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Chopped cilantro

All you have to do is:
Combine water, chickpeas, ginger, paprika, carrots, and squah and bring to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Dump in the chicken and cilantro. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

We're big cilantro fans, so we used a bunch. You could also use parsley (which I didn't have). I was sort of skeptical about the chicken cooking time, but it really didn't take much time at all. And this is how pretty it looks:




5 comments:

MJB said...

There's no such thing as too much cilantro. Or too many meatballs. Sure, you're doing some of the work, but where's the credit for the person who tirelessly eats all of these great meals?

Anonymous said...

The Chicken and Chikpeas looks great, I love the bowl you served it in too! I'm glad MB enjoys vegetables so much, you think he can talk to DB about that?

I'd love to swap recipes with you, I'm always looking for something new to try.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I agree with MJB cilantro, can't get enough. The pictures look familiar. Do you have your own sue-chef? Ha Ha. I can't wait to try this recipe. All my favorite ingredients except for the chickpeas any ideas? Great blog site.

Anonymous said...

Love this one! Totally going to try it.

Chefesq said...

Thanks guys!! People read my blog! As far as substitutes for chickpeas, I guess any bean would work. I have a good kale-chicken sausage-white bean stew thing that I'll post at a later date.